Tuesday, June 3, 2008

English Errors Exposed

I recently was required to undergo a basic grammar test for a research class that I was taking. It was extremely challenging and needless to say I failed, quite miserably in fact. I don't ever remember learning grammar in school, we somehow skipped over that part of my education. I am aware that my grammar is horrible as my roommates are frequently correcting me, but as they always tell me, recognition is the first step to recovery. Although I do struggle with comma placement and hanging participles, I included here some of my more common errors which have more to do with me hearing and using words and phrases incorrectly. I guess that this problem isn't new for me, my mom told me that I used to say many ridiculous things growing up, such as singing "and so my knees are gray" instead of the appropriate words to the song I am a Child of God, "and so my needs are great". Maybe some of you can appreciate these errors and please feel free to share your favorite English usage errors.

"but I am suppose to" this should be phrased "supposed to"

"nah, I am use to it" like the phrase above, this should also have a d "used to"

"I could care less" when I should be saying " I couldn't care less" (Kind of ruins the whole point of what I am trying to say!"

"ATM machine"
"PIN number" this really makes me sound like an idiot: my personal identification number number, nice Taniel, nice

"I feel so OCD right now!" Basically I am saying that I am so obsessive compulsive disorder right now... You can't be a disorder, can you? and yet I still say it all the time

"Alma's Past Experiences" I say this all the time, especially while teaching Sunday School, but my roommate pointed out to me the other day this is a very redundant statement. What other type of experiences are there besides past experiences?

Plethora: I have been using this to mean a wide variety, when I recently found out that it really means overabundance of something.

"anyways..." ahhh, this is definitely NOT a word!

"Head towards center, then make a left.." Should be toward, not towards.

One that I do not say, but I often hear other people say is "irregardless" please do not say this, it is not a real word.

Anyway, there are plenty more phrases which I am sure that I am using incorrectly, so feel free to correct me when you see fit, don't worry I won't be offended, in fact I welcome it!

4 comments:

Brad and Erica said...

Hurray! A new post!!! I make these errors all the time. Now I feel dumb. When I read the title, I thought "ha! Now I can make fun of people who say dumb things." Then I realized that I say all of these dumb things and I didn't feel so cool anymore. So, thanks for bringing me down a notch -- I need that. :-)

Deb Lamb said...

"Did you beat the game?" "I won her!" Just a couple of family favorites.

jeff said...

I have grown up (or should that be growed up) saying, " I need to unthaw the chicken that is in the freezer," instead of "thaw."

The Shark said...

My biggest pet peeve is when people use the word "drowned" as if it's the present tense, i.e., "I don't like to swim because I don't want to drowned. Drowneding is the worst!"

... "Drowned" is the past tense of "drown," people! Come on! We learned that in first grade!