Monday, March 10, 2008

Daylight Savings...

Daylight savings took me off guard this year. I had no idea that it was daylight savings, but luckily my phone changed by itself so I wasn't late for church. Once at church, I participated in over a dozen conversations in which my main purpose was to listen to various people complain about losing an hour of their life. Time is a strange thing. Just by moving back the hands on a clock are we really losing an hour of our lives? Time continues on no matter what the clock says and yet it is amazing how much power the clock has over our lives. Even if we were to solely base time on what the clock says, we still wouldn't lose anytime as once the fall comes we move it right on back, so really it could be considered more of a sideways shift in time if you will. Well, since I really have no idea what daylight savings is all about (except that Benjamin Franklin came up with the idea--thanks to Nathan and National Treasure) I did what anyone would naturally do... I looked it up on Wikipedia. Here are some tidbits that I found out, just for your information (and of course wikipedia is the best source of information because anyone can get on and add information)
1. The Department of Transportation did a study in 1976 and found that Daylighted Savings did not significantly save any energy.
2. DST adversy affects farmers as their schedules are set by the sun
3. DST is good for retail, apparently people shop longer
4. Effects on Traffic fatalities are debatable

There you have it... think what you will, but stop complaining, you probably would have spent that extra hour on facebook or writing a blog about daylight savings anyway.

2 comments:

Brad and Erica said...

It's Wednesday and I am anxiously awaiting another installment of wordless Wednesdays!!!

Deb Lamb said...

I think I just wasted an hour READING your blog--ha ha--it's just that I'm supposed to be making dinner.